The Farmstead sits on land that was claimed by the United States of America and deeded to the Railroad by order of an Act of Congress dated Feb.23, 1871. It was then claimed by the Union Pacific Railroad on July 15, 1884. The original farm of 160 acres was then sold to John Nelson in 1885 for $865.34
Six others owned the property over the years until the homestead was sold as a 5 acre parcel to the McClure’s on Aug 1, 1978. Thus far, the McClure’s have become the longest residents at 35 years and counting.
It has always been our personal goal to retain as much of the original character of the period in which the original farm was established. Many improvements and additions have been made.
The house was added on to twice now by the McClures. The barn was renovated in 1994, and improvements to the other buildings have been made to return them to a functioning state. A garage and shop was built in 2003, and the latest and hopefully last major project of a sun room was added to the house in 2008.
The homestead has come to be identified by the American Gothic style portrait of Don and Rhonda on the Garden shed as seen from the road.
Content copyright 2009 Rhonda McClure